Wood rot is caused by timber constantly being in contact with water. It is crucial to get this rot eradicated from your property because if left untreated it can cause havoc to your property as well as to your family’s health. Fungi thrives in a moist environment and is not as visible as penetrating damp so can go unnoticed for some time.
Signs of wood rot or decay in the interior of your home include:
- Soft, dry, crumbly or brittle timber on window frames, window sills and door trims
- Discoloured wood
- Cracks in painted or sealed wood
- Shrinking and cracking of wood surfaces
- Wooden surrounds of water heaters and dishwashers
- Distorting of timber
- Distinct smell of damp or mould
- Timber damage underneath kitchen sinks
- Wood surrounds of bathtubs
Wood rot can occur on the outside of your property too on roofs, wooden Decking and wooden sheds. To prevent wood rot it is advisable to maintain proper guttering, downpipes and sufficient drainage.
Woodworm relates to the larval stage of many species of wood boring insects that thrive in the timber and multiply. Unless the insects are found and eradicated, the insects will continue to eat away at your woodwork until the timber is no longer usable.Signs that you may have woodworm present in your home include:
- Dead or live beetles found around your home
- White coloured woodworm larvae found on your wooden surfaces
- Crumbly window sill edges
- Holes in woodwork
- Powdery dust found on sills
Treatment of Woodworm can be organised by our expert team here at London Damp Proofing Ltd. First of all we will need to pay you a visit at your home or commercial building to assess the damage and correctly analyse the problem before being able to come up with a permanent solution.
For any timber problems you may have, call us today to discuss your requirements and organise an appointment with our friendly team, call us today on either our Outer London number 0208 226 6330 or Inner London 0207 593 8030.